Cover credits: Photographer, styl.: Aneta Pawska – Enchanted Stories
In the heart of a beautiful country, Poland, beside all those various and very amazing models, there’s one unique, gifted girl with the rainbow in her hair, fierce tattoo on her back, filled with charisma, elegance and beautiful Gothic style. We all know her as Katarzyna Daedra, one of the most amazingly beautiful alternative models of Gothic Culture.
1. Can you explain your nickname “Daedra”? What does it represent?
My nickname comes from a series of games The Elder Scrolls (a few years ago I played a lot of Morrowind 🙂 ) The Daedras are a group of powerful, supernatural creatures, often evil but not always. I chose it because they come from another world and they are mysterious. And, of course, because of fond regard. If I’d have to identify with one, it would be Azura – goddess of dusk and dawn.
2. What made you fall in love with an alternative modelling?
As a photographer, I became interested very quickly an alternative modelling, but in the beginning I didn’t want to be a model. I think it was so that I saw all those beautiful photos and models (not only made by me) and suddenly I realized that yes! I can also be a part of it! So why not try? Especially since I’m too low and too distinctive to be a classic model.
3. When did you start with your modelling career?
It started with the fact that I set up an account on one of the modelling websites in Poland. I had the first ‘real’ photo shoot at the beginning of 2010. I remember that I was very nervous, but the photographer was professional and very sympathetic. And for the first year these photos were probably the best I had. But I liked it and wanted more, so you can see me now 🙂
4. Beside your modelling career, we know that you are photographer as well, so can you tell us more about your love towards that art?
I’ve worked in photography for about 8 years now, I love the fact that I can create my own world and stories and it really all depends on me. As a model I don’t have such an impact on the final result, a lot depends on the photographer and our visions are not always the same. As a photographer I have the opportunity to present even a small piece of my imagination. In photography is a wonderful feeling that I invent everything from scratch and this whole process brings me a lot of joy.
6. We know that you can perfectly “pull out” every single style of alternative modelling. What inspires you and gives you strength to be such an amazing model? 7. Is there some particularly special model who inspires you and who is your very personal favorite?
Some of my favorite photoshoots were made with my friend and good photographer “The Mad Hatter Imaginarium”, but not only these, I think I may look at them very subjectively and there are more great pictures. And of course there are bad photoshoots, but I don’t want to speak about them because I want to forget them! 😀
I don’t like to be limited and I want to try new things. Sometimes enough is one small object, I see it and I can add to it the whole story. I created most of the styling in my portfolio. I’m preparing for photo shoots individually and I try to adapt to each role. And I still practice my facial expressions and poses, because I try to act in front of the lens, not only stand there. You know, I want to be a particular character, not just pretend.
Hm… I don’t know. Of course, I am compared to other models sometimes (e.g. Kato), but I try not to copy anyone and build my own brand and style. I really admire many models, especially Threnody in Velvet, she is awesome.
6. We know that you can perfectly “pull out” every single style of alternative modelling. What inspires you and gives you strength to be such an amazing model?
7. Is there some particularly special model who inspires you and who is your very personal favorite?
8. Name three things you simply cannot live without.
Of course music, I can’t imagine even a day without listening to music. And thus – concerts, I’m a little addicted
The third thing , unfortunately, are the sweets. 😀
9. Can you tell us something about your personal life and how would you describe yourself?
Photography and music is my whole life. I travel a lot (mostly in Poland but not only) to take photos and participate in concerts of my favorite bands. How would I describe myself? I think I’m very sensitive, introverted, modest and sometimes shy. My sense of humor is a little strange and I have a very sharp tongue. And I have a great imagination. I’m also very critical, especially towards myself and I’m also very mischievous. 🙂
11. We know that you were also model for a book cover and you had an appearance in music video. Share some details with us about those collaborations. 12. Back to the modelling theme, are there any aspects of a modeling career that you haven’t explored yet and are there some things that you would always avoid?
It’s a very difficult question, really. I try not to limit myself when it comes to music genres and I listen to whatever I like. Back in the old days I listened only to folk/pagan metal (I know, I don’t look like a typical folk girl! 😉 ), now I reach out for other genres: melodic death, doom, industrial, power, sometimes black, gothic and others – but not only metal! I also like lighter music – ambient, darkwave, neoclassical and sometimes – electro or shanties 😉
My favorite bands, hm… For sure Thurisaz from Belgium (I attended their concert in Roeselare and it was amazing 😉 ), Sólstafir from Icealand, Heidevolk from Netherlands, Vicious Crusade from Belarus, Dark Tranquillity from Sweden and many, many more.
I don’t have much to say about covers, because this photo shoot wasn’t made specialy for the cover, the publisher has bought these photos from stock website. The music video was a completely new experience for me (very tiring), but I liked it 🙂 Great, professional team, but everyone had a lot of fun. We spent five hours in the basement with tons of artificial fog, so we really suffered, but the end result is really good. I hope that I will have the opportunity to take part in other music videos.
As you surely noticed, I don’t have nude photos in portfolio. I don’t have to show everything to look sexy. Nude photography is a very difficult field and many photographers cannot do it with style, so the pictures often look vulgar. Of course, there are also beautiful nude photos, but I think it’s not for me.
11. We know that you were also model for a book cover and you had an appearance in music video. Share some details with us about those collaborations.
12. Back to the modelling theme, are there any aspects of a modeling career that you haven’t explored yet and are there some things that you would always avoid?
13. How do you find all that preparation for shootings that sometimes lasts for hours? Do you enjoy creating new look with perfect make-up, matching jewelry and clothes?
Of course, for me it’s an amazing fun to prepare each photo shoot, even though sometimes it takes a long time and a fair bit of work. But I’m a perfectionist and everything has to fit together in 100%. That’s why sometimes I’m making the outfit partially myself. And searching for extras sometimes takes months.
14. How much have you changed since you first started modelling?
Not much, I think. Surely I became more confident and aware of my body and attractiveness, but I never want to look down upon others. I think I’m still the same crazy girl, certainly not ideal 🙂
15. At the end of this interview, what would be a message you would like to leave to your fans and our readers?
I would like to thank Gothic and Amazing for the wonderful support you have given me and for this interview, it’s a great experience for me. And big thank you to all my fans, because everything I do, I do for you! Your support and kind words are a huge motivation for me to continue my work. My dear, remember to always be yourself and if you can do something – do it with heart and do your best.