In the world of Gothic Culture there is one of those amazing person whose work leaves you impressed. The one of them is this amazing model and make-up artist. Her make-up tutorials are breathtaking and her modeling portfolio is beyond all beauty. One of her make-up tutorial has been featured in latest issue of our magazine, which you can read here, so to refresh your memory of this beautiful model and make-up artist, keep reading and I hope you’ll enjoy in this interview with the lovely ReeRee Phillips.
1. When did you start with your modeling career? Sixteen. But it was on and off for many years.
2. How did you discover your love towards alternative modeling and what drag you into the lovely world of Gothic culture? Well I have always been modelling for ‘alternative’ businesses, but my love for Gothic fashion came from a young age. I used to watch my mother parade around in large medieval gowns, and watch Addams Family, and became entranced by the beauty and sheer elegance of the Victorian/Romantic gothic fashions.
3. Do you remember your very first photo-shoot and can you share some details and feelings about that? I was 16, and had just been pierced for the 20th time. As I was sitting in the lobby, after the piercing, the manager came to me and asked me to appear in their shop window. I came back that evening to a somewhat photoshoot set up, and had my face photographed, to be displayed for the customers. My photo hung in the window of the piercing parlour for over a year! I was honestly terrified, but more so because it was getting late, and I was going to be on a bus for two hours by myself to get back home.
4. Beside your modeling career I’m very familiar with your impressive make-up tutorials and I have to say that I sincerely admire your make-up skills. Can you tell you how did you start with making those awesome videos? The videos came as a release in a way. I was still trying to outwardly express who I was, especially after I lost my tattooing apprenticeship (the shop shut down, and the job market was bleak). I began making the tutorials out of boredom, but it really helped me to find who I was again. I keep doing them now, because I love it. I love showing people new techniques or a different approach to makeup in general.
5. How do you find all that preparation for shootings that sometimes lasts for hours? Do you enjoy creating new look with perfect make-up, matching jewelry and clothes? I am very grateful that most people I shoot with know that I prefer to do my own makeup, as I know my face better than anyone else, and also because I love applying makeup. Everyday is a new adventure. HD Makeup application (the type of makeup I do for photoshoots) can take up to four hours. There was one photoshoot in which I was essentially the Grim Reaper. I filmed a tutorial of it too, but that took over 5 hours to prepare for!
6. I wonder are there any aspects of a modeling career that you haven’t explored yet and are there some things that you would always avoid? I haven’t explored much of the cyber Goth stuff, although I would LOVE to! I also wouldn’t mind trying a PVC themed shoot. I tend to avoid any kind of nudity. I am very reserved and shy about my body, and I don’t really see much ‘sex appeal’ with myself and my style.
7. How much have you changed since you first started modeling and doing make-up tutorials? Oh wow! I certainly have! When I began modelling, I was a 16 year old rebellious spirit, who emancipated herself and lived out of home. I had a new hair colour every week, and was very much into the party scene. Fast forward to the beginning of my YouTube channel, I was a young mother who lost herself. I forgot everything I loved, to try and please society and the social ideals. Now, I have settled into a much, much clearer representation of who I am inside. I am a quiet person, who can be outspoken when needed, everything in balance.
8. Is there some particularly special model who inspires you and who is your very personal favorite? There isn’t a particular model that inspires me, but my favorite would have to be Psychara. Such a sweet person, yet her look can be changed in a heartbeat. She’s incredibly versatile, and I love that! Also, Mahafsoun and Obsidian Kerttu are two beautiful ladies of whom I cannot fathom their beauty.
9. We know you as a model with the perfect look and breathtaking photos, but can you tell us a bit about you and your personal life? Who is ReeRee behind the cameras when she is just herself? I am a mother to a beautiful five year old daughter, Mischa. She is the light of my life and the reason why I push through the bad times. I am someone who can be quiet and shy, and can be scared to try new things, but the few people who are really close to me know me as an outgoing and fun person. It’s almost like there’s two different people.
10. Does the music play a big part in your life and what music genres do you prefer? Do you attend a lot of concerts or you prefer enjoying in music in home atmosphere? Music plays a HUGE role in my life. When I was a child, after my father left, life was very difficult. We sang and made up dances to heavy metal music, because we didn’t have a TV. I did violin lessons for 6 years, and then moved into percussion for a while, before my partner introduced me to guitar. My favorite genre of music? It’s too hard to choose, but it definitely lies within Metal. And I much prefer the concert/live atmosphere. It’s so raw, and with the best concerts, you can feel the emotion of the music.
11. What is your everyday casual look? Do you prefer full make-up or simple, basic make-up, such as: powder, eyeliner and lipstick? Everyday casual? I think it would be what my family call ‘Fresh Death’. I put some mauve/purple tones mixed with a couple cool toned browns around my eyes, and either my staple black lipstick, or a grey toned nude. I do this look once a week or so, its different everyday.
12. Name three things you simply cannot live without every single day. My family/friends, sunscreen, energy drinks.
13. We are aware of the fact that you can perfectly “pull out” every single style of an Alternative modeling, but which one is your favorite Gothic style? It lies somewhere in between Victorian Gothic and Romantic/Vampire Goth. I have a preference for things that have drawn inspiration from history.
14. What do you consider your biggest career highlight so far? Not sure. There are so many highlights and they’re all amazing for many different reasons. I think the most amazing thing in recent times was being asked to be ‘Miss February’ in the Gothic and Amazing calendar!
15. Who is your biggest support in your modeling career, who gives you strength to keep fighting in cruel and tough modeling world? My partner, first and foremost. We’ve been through thick and thin together (We’ve been together since I was 16). Also, my followers and subscribers. It’s so hard to believe how amazing and supporting they all are! I truly am blessed with the best followers/subscribers. I don’t like to use the word ‘fan’, because it seems disconnecting.
16. Do you have some special plans for shootings and tutorials in future that you would maybe like to reveal in this interview or just give us a hint? Already planning Halloween! (Hint: Burial) Also, I have a few major collaborations coming, that I am very excited about.
17. It was true pleasure and honor for me to chat with you, so to end this interview: what would you like to leave as a message to your fans, followers and our readers? Thank you. From the deepest, darkest depths of my heart, thank you. I am eternally grateful for all the love and support I receive daily. I am a very lucky person indeed!
Zeen is a next generation WordPress theme. It’s powerful, beautifully designed and comes with everything you need to engage your visitors and increase conversions.