Model, photographer, designer and vocalist from Poland
Absentia – founder of the Veil workshop, designer and model living in Poland. Long-term collector and enthusiast of corsets. Her designs of hair accessories and clothes are characterized by subtlety and elegance, often drawing from gothic estetic. Her second love is music. She is currently cooperating with project Narrenturm as a vocalist. Her favorite music genre are coldwave, darkwave and death rock.
Absentia is passionate about photography, which she is trying to master not only as a model but as a photographer as well. Most of the photo shoots she is participating in are thoroughly planned including outfit and makeup to fit the session style.
1. How would you describe yourself? I am a determined person of strong character. I always try to do things as best as I can and keep raising the bar. I value honesty and staying true to yourself. I usually expect a lot from myself and people around me.
2. How did modeling enter your life, was it a long time dream? Through most of my teenage years I had very low self-esteem and I saw myself as unattractive so it never came to my mind to pose for pictures. It all started to change when I began to experiment with the way I dress and the way I look. I realized then that how I felt and what I wanted was more important than trying to adjust to my soundings. This change in thinking resulted in improving my mental state and the way I looked. I had support from my friends who encouraged me to start posing for pictures. I created an account in a Polish page for photographers and models and soon I began to receive offers for photoshoots.
3. What lead you to alternative modeling? I always treated photography as a way to create something fantastic and unreal. Alternative modelling gives me that option – there are no set rules that you need to follow. What counts are creativity and self-confidence.
4. Why the modeling name Absentia, Can you tell us the story behind that name? When I was a teenager I started a cold wave/post punk band with my friend where I played the guitar and did the vocals. We spent a long time searching for a proper name for the band but could not find one. On time in Latin class when I was bored and was going through the Latin dictionary I came across the word “absentia” which means absence. I felt that I have found our band name. Unfortunately there already was a death metal band with that name. The band was named Absent Time and Absentia became my nickname.
5. Do you have a favorite photoshoot our a favorite costume from all the ones you already done, one that left you with good memories? My favorite outfit consists of a rose covered skirt , a rose crown (which were both made by me) and a silk corset from Corsetry & Romance. Creating that skirt took me a few weeks and was very work-consuming as each rose was sewn in by hand. It was a very satisfying project that showed me that hard work and time investment is worth the result.
6. You also enjoy being on the other side of the camera you are studying photography , do you think that learning how to be on both sides of a camera can help you to grow as an artist? I think it is very helpful when you have experience from both roles. As a model I automatically know how I should position myself and what to look out for to make the picture look good. As a photographer when I work with less experience models I know how to break the tension and how to help them to give their best.
7. Do you have any concepts for future shoots that you can’t wait to try out? I love outdoor photos. I am currently in the process of creating sea inspired dresses. I plan to make a session a the sea shore in the summer.
8. Now has a fashion designer you already own your brand ( VEIL.Pl ) a brand that designs hair accessories and clothes That are characterized by subtle and elegant, can you tell us a bit more about this project? My workshop is having its 4th birthday this spring. Under the Veil banner I have my head accessories (flower crown, fascinators, bands) and clothes – skirts and dresses. Mostly they are unique, one of a kind creation which I design and create by myself. My handcrafts are made in many styles including: gothic, romantic, burlesque and retro but I also have special items dedicated for brides.
9. You look amazing in your modeling outfits! But how do you dress on your everyday life? The way I dress has changed over the years. I was never afraid of experimenting however from the perspective of time I don’t think all of my ideas where good. One thing has not changed – I was always fascinated by corsets so I try to wear them when I can. Currently I am a proud owner of over 50 corsets in many styles and colors and many of which are custom made based on my designs. I like retro clothes and original vintage ones. I usually pick feminine clothes with lace when I can but there are days when I am in a hurry and then I dress in comfortable, usually black, clothes.
10. You have at least one more project going on that must people don’t know about, do you want to let us know more about project Narrenturm? Narrentum is an electronic experimental project to which I contribute my vocals and write lyrics. Together with Rion I am working on a new album which I hope to come out this year.
11. I really have to ask you this question with so many projects that you are in where do you go for inspiration? Do you have and idol, someone that you look up to for? I am inspired by many things – in my free time often look at paintings and photographs from around the world and I get many new ideas from that. My favorite trends in art are Art Nouveau and Pre-raphaelitism. I think you can feel the influence in the projects that I create. Most of my ideas come to me suddenly in unexpected moments, sometimes it just takes a piece of cloth and my imagination immediately gives me an idea of what to do with it.
12. What do you consider your biggest career highlights so far? One of my dreams that came true this year was cooperation with V-Couture. It is a corset brand which I admired for a long time. Opportunity to see the corsets first hand and present them in a photo session was a wonderful experience. I hope to get involved in similar projects in the future.
13. After all that what more can we expect seeing you do in the future, what are your biggest goals in life? In the future I want to constantly improve on what I am doing now – sing, design and participate in creative photoshoots. I eagerly await the end of my studies to be able to fully invest my time into this.
14. You know you have many fans out there, what message would you like to leave them? I thank you for your support and kind words that I receive. It is extremely important for me and is the main motivation to continue my work.
Zeen is a next generation WordPress theme. It’s powerful, beautifully designed and comes with everything you need to engage your visitors and increase conversions.